With the recent trades of Pau Gasol and Shaq from the West, teams are almost pushing the panic button. With recent acquisition of Damon Stoudamire to San Antonio and the undying trade talks of Jason Kidd. NBA teams are trying to shop their players in order to find stability and have a good run in the upcoming second half of the season.
This time teams are not just trying to land a playoff spot but are trying for a championship ring. Right now I only have 5 teams in mind that are gunning for a championship run…
- San Antonio Spurs- The reigning defending champions have the entire arsenal to be on the top but with all the movements being made by other western teams San Antonio needs another veteran Point guard and a Power Forward/ Center to help Duncan in the paint. Damon Stoudamire was a good pick up for San Antonio since Tony Parker’s health is questionable. But with Big Shot Robert Horry still injured San Antonio needs another help who could defend the likes of Shaq and Pau.
- Phoenix Suns- A move to get Shaq was a risky but rewarding move. Amare’s back with his original position and with Shaq the Phoenix became an instant contender. The question would be how long they could sustain their magic.
- Detroit Pistons- A solid team that don’t need much changes. They are a veteran team but they should have a good bench since injury is inevitable… A solid lineup should always have a good backup like San Antonio
- Boston Celtics- The most exciting team to watch who rallied 40 wins with 5 games without their star forward Kevin Garnet. Rondo developed to be a good point guard but playoff time would be a different scenario. Games would be more physical and I’m afraid if Coach Rivers would gamble on his raw point guard he could dearly pay the price. Sam Cassel would be a wise decision to sign him up. The wily veteran is a tested general. If I were Boston I would do whatever it takes to get hold of Sam. Jason Kidd would be a much better acquisition though but that’s over the kill for Boston.
- Los Angeles Lakers- with Andrew Bynum’s fast recovery the lakers would be a team to beat with Pau Gasol and Kobe Bryant. They have all the ingredients of a championship team. A mixed of veteran players and a good bench. They are the no.1 off the bench scoring team. I always dreamed of a new Celtics-Lakers rivalry right now it’s almost becoming a reality….
With fingers crossed….